Ask your organisation, group, business, place of worship to pass a resolution of support for Bristol City of Sanctuary (print from the website)
• Display one of our “We welcome asylum-seekers and refugees” signs (collect from our office base or print from the website) outside your building, office, home – or on your car.
• Invite a refugee or asylum-seeker to speak to your community about their experiences.
• Publicise City of Sanctuary, Refugee Week and other refugee events within your community.
• Publicise opportunities for voluntary work with asylum-seekers and refugees – or offer volunteer placements or internships for suitably skilled asylum-seekers or refugees with your organisation or business.
• Invite refugee groups to your community social events.
• Help us develop a team taking the issue of asylum into local schools.
• Offer befriending or advocacy to asylum-seekers in your area.
• Offer English (ESOL) tuition.
• Offer meeting or worship space to a refugee community group.
• Provide short or longer-term accommodation to homeless asylum-seekers by offering a spare room, or by contributing to the rent for a house (Bristol Hospitality Network).
• Consider appointing refugees to positions of responsibility in your community.
• Offer your time for admin support to City of Sanctuary Bristol campaign.
• Do you have expertise in making funding applications? Then we would be very pleased to hear from you!
These are just a few suggestions. If you have a skill or particular interest that isn’t mentioned above, get in touch and we may be able to suggest a way that it could be used to benefit asylum seekers and refugees locally. Equally, get in touch if you would like further explanation of any of the above or if you have any suggestions.