On Wednesday 22nd 2June this year, Bristol will hold an event to celebrate its new status as a City of Sanctuary, signifying it as a place which welcomes Refugees and Asylum Seekers, offers them a place of safety and values their contribution. This event marks the beginning of the next phase of Bristol as a City of Sanctuary; it will be a Call to Action, aiming to raise awareness and provoke actions from citizens of Bristol that make explicit the support – both emotional and practical – that we offer as a city.
Amongst a rich Refugee Week programme, using themes of ‘welcome’, ‘contribution’ and ‘sanctuary’, this colourful, thought provoking, celebratory arts event brings together performers, musicians, artists, refugees, asylum seekers, individuals, indigenous people, residents and workers from Bristol.
The launch event will take a three part act starting at 3pm, Tea and Civic Welcome in the Council House.
- The Lord Mayor of Bristol, Councillor, Geoff Gollop
- Khethiwe, Zimbabwean Sanctuary Seeker, member of Bristol Refugee Rights
- The Very Revd Dr David Hoyle, MA, The Dean, Bristol Cathedral
- Mrs Mary Prior MBE JP, HM Lord-Lieutenant of Bristol
- Barbara Janke, Leader of the Council
- Nigel Costley, TUC South West Regional Secretary
- Tiffy Allen, National Coordinator, City of Sanctuary, Sheffield
- Marvin Rees, Master of Ceremony
RSVP – Let us know that you are coming for the first part in the Council House as numbers are limited!! Booking Essential: [email protected] or 0117 941 5940
If you cannot make 3pm please join us at 4.15 for the Procession across College Green or at 5pm in Bristol Cathedral for our Promenade performance there. Just come along to this as there will be plenty of room.
FFI: [email protected] or 0117 941 5960