What is a School or College of Sanctuary?
It is a school or college that is committed to being a safe and welcoming place for people whose lives were in danger in their own country. This means it is a school or college that helps its students, staff and wider community to understand what it means to be seeking sanctuary, and to extend a welcome to everyone as equal, valued members of the school community. It is an establishment that is proud to be a place of safety and inclusion for all.
Schools and Colleges of Sanctuary is an initiative of Bristol City of Sanctuary, which aims to:
- Promote positive attitudes within schools, colleges and their communities around people seeking sanctuary
- Support schools and colleges to take positive steps and to be proud of being places of safety and inclusion for all
- Recognise and celebrate schools and colleges that are committed to welcoming and supporting people seeking sanctuary
Why become a School or College of Sanctuary?
- Creating a sense of safety and inclusion is beneficial to all members of the school community
- It is an opportunity to create a clearer understanding of what it means to seek sanctuary and to dispel some negative myths
- It provides learning opportunities around human rights, social justice, diversity and interdependence (Global Dimension concepts)
- It strengthens race equality and community cohesion work in schools and colleges
- It is an opportunity to increase student voice and promote active citizenship
- It can augment your work to attain the Stephen Lawrence Education Standard or other inclusion initiatives
How do we become a School or College of Sanctuary?
There are three simple principles to being a School or College of Sanctuary:
1. Learn about what it means to be seeking sanctuary
2. Take positive action to embed concepts of welcome, safety and inclusion within your school, college and the wider community
3. Share your vision and achievements – be proud!
For more details on how to become a School or College of Sanctuary, click below:
For more information, visit this page or contact:
Schools and Colleges of Sanctuary
We are incredibly proud of the schools and colleges to have been awarded Sanctuary Status. All have gone above and beyond to embed a culture of welcome in their schools and to promote sanctuary.